Thursday, June 28, 2012

Skippy Says: 34 Weeks (Pregnancy Journal)

34 Weeks

Dear baby girl,

Well, we're back home in San Francisco. As much as I love this city (and you'll quickly realize it's a lot-- you already have a few infant San Francisco books in your library collection) I would not have said no to another week in Maui. Or two. My only concern was the (unsolicited) heaps of people telling me I was bound to have a "Maui baby" if we didn't get back soon. Um, I'm supposedly still six weeks away from your arrival. But thanks for not so subtly telling me I look way bigger, kind strangers. That combined with someone repeatedly telling me they love to be in photos with me because it makes them feel less fat have been huge ego boosters this past week. Mama's riding high!

But, you know, there's really not much I can do. I work out at the gym (hard- shhhh don't tell daddy because I promised his paranoid ass I take it super easy) at least 3-4 times a week. On days I don't go to the gym I stay active by hiking or at least walking with Ryder. I eat lots of delicious salads, veggies, and fruits. Lots of whole grains, beans, and legumes. Occasional fish. I'll admit a weakened resolution to saying no to pizza, but not all that often. So if my belly (and hopefully you!) are growing despite that, well, so it is. And if that makes people feel better about being "fat" themselves, I guess I'll consider that my good deed of the day.

Sidenote: Daddy ate an entire huge Costco box of sour belts and a whole package of oreos on our trip, as well as lots of pizza and burritos. I ate lots of salad, watermelon, and pineapple. He did not gain any weight. I did. He sucks.

My big belly is attracting lots of attention though. Just today, a little boy on the bus pointed at me and yelled really loudly: "Look, mom, she's having a baby!" His poor mom looked really sheepish, and refused to make eye contact with me. Her son blatantly stared at me, wide-eyed and mouthed, until they got off.  Lots of random strangers are sparking up conversations, and daddy says my random-smiles-from-strangers ratio is super high. Score.

I still feel, more strongly than ever, that you're coming early,  Like, real early. Scary I'm not ready for you yet early. Grandma said my belly dropped in the week we were in Maui, and I also feel like you descended. And landed right atop my bladder. Thanks buddy. Hang in there- mama needs some more time to get her shit together. But words cannot describe how excited she is to meet you. Now she'll stop talking in third person so you don't punch her in the face for this when you're older and reading this letter.

Love,

Mama








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...