It's no big secret that I love the pattern mixing trend (trend?). Trend or not, I'll keep mixing patterns until the cows come home. And since I live in San Francisco, that's probably going to be a while. Lately, I've seen all sorts of "rules" about how to properly mix patterns on other blogs, and maybe I'm just dense, but I have to admit they don't make much sense to me. Instead, I employ the following 2 step foolproof strategy:
1. Pick out two pieces with different patterns that I think I want to wear together and lay them out on the bed. Look at them and, wait for it, decide if I think they look nice together. Tada!
If the answer to step 1 is "no," move on two step 2:
2. Angrily throw one of the pieces on the floor and pick out another one I think might work better. Tada! Ok, I lie. My OCD would never let me do that. Neatly but still angrily hang up one of the pieces back in my closet and then pick out another one. Repeat until satisfied.
- Mango top (bought on sale, no longer available. Buy similar here, here, here, or here)
- Banana Republic factory store skirt (bought on sale circa 2006 or 2007? No longer available. Buy similar here or here)
- Purse from SF vintage sidewalk sale ($5!)
- Banana Republic Factory store scarf (bought on sale circa 2010, no longer available. Buy similar here or here)
- Target tights (buy here)
- Shoes from random little store in Germany
- Earrings from random little store in cape cod circa 2008